Founded in 2002 by a group of local citizens, Community Cancer Services ("Heather's House") is a non-profit, community-funded, cancer resource center providing current and reliable information and direct support services to cancer patients and their families residing in Bonner and Boundary counties of northern Idaho. CCS continues to evolve as we learn more about the needs of local cancer patients and their families.
Community Cancer Services is dedicated to providing information, as well as emotional and financial support, to members of our community affected by the diagnosis of cancer. Through our programs we strive to improve both the comfort and quality of life for those diagnosed with cancer, and to educate the community on all aspects of cancer, from prevention to end of life issues.
- Financial assistance for lodging during treatments.
- Financial assistance for insurance co-payments, prescriptions, medical bills, durable and nondurable goods.
- Gas vouchers to help with the cost of fuel during cancer-related travel.
- A library of cancer-related materials
- Advocacy and referral to community and cancer resources
- Individual and family counseling, as well as monthly support groups, facilitated by licensed clinical social workers.
- Loaned durable medical equipment, including wheel chairs, walkers, lift chairs, shower chairs, etc.
- Look Good Feel Better program
- Yoga classes emphasizing relaxation techniques to increase physical tolerance.
- Wigs, hats, scarves, and post-mastectomy products.
- All of our services are free of charge and provided without regard to financial need.